Commercial Real Estate (CRE) is simply defined as any property owned to produce income. This can be just about anything, including:
• the neighborhood Circle K where you gas up your Prius
• the fourplex apartment building next-door
• your five-story suburban office building
• the car-wash your brother owns and operates
• a sleek glass high-rise downtown.
From an investment point of view, commercial real estate encompasses any kind of property, including land, which brings or has the potential to bring income. From a business point of view, commercial real estate is any offering of office, retail, industrial, medical, hospitality, and other commercial space that can be leased (and sometimes bought) for the use of the business.