My husband and I are 66 and living in an 18-year-old house. We have recently replaced several items that have reached their life span in our home. My husband works part time and wants to continue indefinitely. Should we sell our large (mortgage-free) house and downsize now or wait until my husband retires? We are thinking of leaving the state when he retires.
Probably like you, I see benefits to both selling now and waiting until your husband finally calls it a career. I’m leaning one way, but will spell out my thought process for you, and then let you make your decision with hopefully a few new factors you hadn’t previously considered.